Buying your home will most probably be the biggest investment you make in your lifetime, not to mention one of the most stressful times.
You therefore want to ensure that you make the right decision when it comes to choosing a solicitor to represent you. Here are the top ten reasons why you should choose a high street firm for your conveyancing:-
1. A local Solicitor will have good knowledge of the local area and will be able to give you that extra advice based on their own experience.
2. It is quite often the case that the local firm has already acted on a property in close proximity, if not even the same property in the past which can sometimes be a huge advantage in a conveyancing transaction. This means that the solicitor could potentially have inside knowledge on any problems that may arise and methods of how to overcome them.
3. The local firms will know the local estate agents and will be able to find out further information from down the chain due to their connections. They will also have a large network base of local contacts such as surveyors, architects, mortgage advisors etc.
4. The benefit of having a local high street firm gives you the advantage of being able to physically go into the office and see your conveyancer to discuss any issues or concerns. This also allows you the option to go into the office to sign documents rather than having to wait for the post.
5. There has been a huge surge in fraudsters targeting solicitor’s firms by intercepting emails and changing bank details. By using a local firm you have the option to go into the firm and clarify bank details. Having face-to-face contact will also help in the reduction of identity crime.
6. By using a high street branch you will be allocated an individual fee earner who will deal with your transaction which provides you with a much more personal service, unlike large online firms where you will deal with numerous colleagues.
7. Many people are put off by using high street solicitors as they are expensive compared to the online firms; however, this is not always the case. Usually high street firms provide you with a full upfront fixed fee which may be higher than the online firm’s initial fee, however the online firms will then charge the hidden extras contained in their small print.
8. The online firms will stack up their workloads in order to hit “targets” which in turn causes a lapse in quality, the fee earners are harder to contact and the clients become a “case” rather than a valued client.
9. Another benefit of using a high street firm is the convenience of having other departments and specialisms within the firm. If you need to write a Will, have a Trust Deed prepared or are going through a divorce, then most firms will also offer this service.
This can be of great advantage when these matters are connected with your conveyancing transaction as the solicitors have a much better idea of what is going on with the separate matters in order to tie them together.
10. Some estate agents get referral fees for recommending online firms, whereas many high street firms do not depend on referral fees to gain work, but instead, rely on their reputation and their existing client base.
If you would like to find out more about buying and selling your home contact a member of our team today