Accident at Work? Our specialist Personal Injury Lawyers can help...

By Chelsea Lawson, 5th November 2020

Do you know what to do if you have had an accident or injury that wasn’t your fault?

Wiltshire based Solicitors, Goughs, have a specialist team dedicated to ensuring you get the compensation you are entitled to.

Accidents in the workplace

Regardless of the industry you are in, any workplace can be dangerous to a certain extent, so this brings strict health and safety rules to govern everything from scaffolding on construction sites to machinery in a factory.  Unfortunately, the rules that govern safe working practices are not always followed, and the safety equipment is not always in the best working order or maintained to the standard it should be.  In such cases, accidents happen which can leave workers with serious injuries or illnesses.

COVID-19 & health & safety in the workplace

Due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, workplaces may have had reduced access to cash and the services available to appropriately service and maintain equipment. Equipment may also have been dormant for a while causing operational difficulties. Please be aware of this when returning to work and take due care and attention to take care of yourself and those around you. 

Which jobs carry the most risk?

  • Painter and decorator
  • Electrician
  • Miner
  • Civil Engineer
  • Mechanic
  • Refuse Collector
  • Lorry Driver
  • Factory Worker
  • Farmer
  • Builder
  • Scaffolder
  • Roofer


Who is at fault & who are you claiming against?

It could be that the negligence was the fault of a colleague.  This does not mean you would be claiming against this person.  Employers have a duty of care towards their employees, so are responsible for keeping you from harm in the workplace.  Every employer, by law, needs to have Employers’ Liability Insurance in place. 

Some people can be hesitant in making a claim against their employer, which is completely understandable.  Rest assured, the insurance employers have in place will cover everything and all associated costs and compensation.  If you feel you are treated differently, then we can refer you to one of our specialist employment lawyers who would be happy to discuss your position. 

What about accidents on the road or in public?

Similarly, with accidents in public or on the road, the insurance of the other party should cover everything that is required. We would strongly encourage you though to instruct a specialist lawyer rather than rely on your insurance company to ensure a full investigation is carried out and that you gain access to private medical treatment and rehabilitation where required. 

Also, bear in mind that accidents on the road aren’t limited to when you are driving and include accidents involving pedestrians, cyclists and fatal injuries. 

What to do next?

If you have been injured at work and are unsure if you can bring a claim, get in touch with one of our specialist Personal Injury Lawyers on 01249 444499 and we would be happy to help.  Or click here to book your free and confidential initial consultation.