The experienced Family Team at Goughs Solicitors specialise in divorce within the UK and deal with all related matters including, finance, children and property matters. We also advise and represent clients internationally when they need an English lawyer following the breakdown of their marriage.
The prospect of divorce is stressful and saddening, but we are here to help ease the burden. With our help, your divorce will be as straightforward as possible and we’re here to support you should we hit any bumps in the road.
How Do I Start Divorce Proceedings?
Anyone who has been legally married for over a year can initiate divorce proceedings, by filing a petition, if the marriage has irretrievably broken down due to one of the following ‘facts’;
- Your spouse has committed adultery and you find it intolerable to live with him or her.
- Your spouse has behaved in such a way that it would be unreasonable to expect you to continue to live together.
- Your spouse has deserted you for a continuous period of two years or more.
- You and your spouse have been living separately for two years or more and your spouse agrees to the divorce.
- You and your spouse have been living separately for five years or more, whether or not your spouse consents to the divorce.
The Government has passed legislation allowing for ‘no fault’ divorces, but this will not come into effect until later in 2021. For more detail on what to do and how to do it, call Goughs today on 01249 712193 or your local office.
What Happens To My Finances On Divorce?
A lot of our clients are understandably concerned about protecting their finances in divorce proceedings. Click here for more information.
Divorce & Children
The effect of divorce and separation on children is one of the biggest barriers people face in deciding whether to move forward with a ‘petition’ for divorce due to concerns about future arrangements. The court won’t get involved in matters relating to children during divorce unless it is absolutely necessary. Click here for more advice.
Get In Touch
What Our Clients Had to Say
"Thank you for all your help, guidance and understanding over the last 2 years. You and your team have been outstanding during a very difficult time and managed the case through to a highly satisfactory conclusion.” TG
“Thank you very much for all your help this year, you have been fantastic and everything has run smoothly. My ex and I still get on very well and your service was brilliant." A G A, Devizes