Moving home? Things to consider when choosing a lawyer

Moving home can be stressful and time consuming.  YOPA  revealed in a recent survey that 60% of people put off moving home because change is stressful. That’s why it’s important to choose a reliable Lawyer you can trust to help and advise you through what can be a complex and daunting process.

Topics to be answered in this article

What is the difference between a Lawyer, Solicitor, Chartered Legal Executive and Licensed Conveyancer?

You have probably come across many different terms used to describe a Lawyer.


A Lawyer is a blanket term used to describe any individual working in the legal profession, whether qualified or not. For example, a Lawyer could be an unqualified Paralegal or a fully qualified Solicitor.


A Solicitor is a qualified Lawyer who is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. A Solicitor has undertaken many years of studying and training to earn their qualification to practise and is fully trained in legal services.

Chartered Legal Executive 

A Chartered Legal Executive is also a qualified Lawyer but is regulated by the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives. A Chartered Legal Executive (CILEX) has also undertaken many years of studying and training to earn their qualification to practise and is fully trained in legal services.

Licensed Conveyancer

A Licensed Conveyancer is a qualified Lawyer who is regulated by the Council for Licensed Conveyancers. As with Solicitors and CILEX, they have studied and trained for many years to earn their qualification to practise, however Licensed Conveyancers specialise in Conveyancing only.

What will the lawyer do?

The Lawyer will look after all the legal work involved in your sale or purchase. This is likely to include: 

  • Handling the Contracts

  • Giving you bespoke legal advice

  • Carrying out council searches

  • Dealing with the Land Registry

  • Transferring the funds to pay for or sell your property.

What are the costs involved?

Depending on the Lawyer you choose to instruct, they may charge a fixed fee for the work involved or may provide a quote for work based on their hourly rate. Quotes will vary, so be sure to find a Lawyer that meets your individual needs.

You may also find there are additional charges involved to cover extra work for services involving Help to Buy ISAs, gifted deposits, Statutory Declarations, and other additional services which may arise during your transaction.

As well as the Lawyer’s fee, you can expect to pay further costs, known as disbursements, to third parties to cover searches, Land Registry fees, Stamp Duty and bank charges.

At Goughs we quote on a bespoke basis, so additional costs don’t sneak in further down the line. 

How will communication work?

You should be able to ask your Lawyer any questions throughout your sale and purchase by email, telephone or coming in for a face to face meeting. Some firms provide an online portal which provides updates on the progression of your case.

At Goughs, we offer you a dedicated Lawyer who will be your point of contact throughout your transaction. As well as being available to speak with you by email and telephone, being a local firm allows us to meet our clients and provide a bespoke service face to face.

How to choose a lawyer?

Before you instruct your Lawyer, be sure to find one that best suits your individual needs and requirements. You may wish to speak to family members, friends or the estate agents for recommendations of local lawyers who may be able to help.

You can also check the credentials and qualifications of a firm or a particular lawyer on the Solicitors Regulation Authority checker service.

Finally, you may also want to look at reviews and ratings on Google and TrustPilot.

How can Goughs help you?

We believe Goughs offer a comprehensive and friendly conveyancing service that can help you move home quickly, keeping stress to a minimum. Call your local Goughs office to see how we can help.

Click to share this article

Author Bio

Amy Moran

After working as a Paralegal in a Bristol firm, I knew I wanted to study law further and began my studies to qualify as a Chartered Legal Executive. I have always had a keen interest in property and the Residential Property Department was therefore a perfect fit!

I began my training in the department in 2017 and qualified as a Chartered Legal Executive in 2019.

Related Content

Leasehold management packs explained

Title deeds: what are they and why do you need them?

Will you need to instruct a solicitor or conveyancer if you remortgage your property?

Let us search for you